Wethersfield Mitigation Projects

Bero Architecture in direct collaboration with the NYS SHPO and the Town of Wethersfield assisted Noble Environmental Power LLC with the identification of potential historic sites and structures to be rehabilitated as part of their environmental mitigation requirements for the construction of the Wethersfield and Bliss Windparks. Three sites were selected and included the Rowley & Cross Store in Bliss, NY, Sheppard Road Cemetery in Bliss, NY, and the Wethersfield School House No. 3 in Gainesville, NY. Bero Architecture provided Condition and Schematic Design reports (2008), and construction documents for all three sites, with final completion in 2010.

Wethersfield School House No. 3 was constructed around 1853 and was in constant use until the 1950s. After that time it was repurposed for agricultural storage. Much of the original building fabric was intact and salvageable. The rehabilitation included providing a new foundation with ventilated crawlspace, accessibility improvements, rehabilitation of the original one room schoolhouse and  construction of a rear addition to house a bathroom and kitchenette to support its new use as a community meeting hall and Town of Wethersfield Historical Center.

 

The Sheppard Road Cemetery was established c.1820 by the French family, early denizens and founders of the Town of Wethersfield. It served as the final resting place for several early families in the area and was in active use until c.1910. Having suffered years of neglect, the cemetery was nearly unrecognizable. The rehabilitation included detailed documentation, repositioning and limited protections for all headstone and monuments, clearing brush, and simple site improvements including regrading and vehicular parking, reestablishment of the sugar maple perimeter, low chain fence, and a historical marker.

 

The Rowley and Cross Store was built shortly after the 1919 fire in Bliss, NY. It served as a typical mixed-use building for several years with the store on the first floor with walk-out basement and an apartment on the second story. The original storefront was removed at an unknown date and the store converted to a first floor apartment. The building had been vacant for many years. Substantion rehabilitation included structural repairs, reroofing, insertion of a sympathetic storefront, stucco repair, first floor accessibility, and reconstruction of the side porch. The first floor was repurposed as the Town of Eagle Historical Museum.