First Presbyterian Church of Pittsford

The First Presbyterian Church of Pittsford built in 1861, is the village’s only example of Romanesque Revival design, and is a contributing structure to the Pittsford Village Historic District (National Register of Historic Places, 1984).

In 1991 the parish initiated a long term client/firm relationship with Bero Architecture, beginning with an Architectural Consultation, Report, and Estimate on needed repairs, maintenance, and replacement of masonry, woodwork, and glazing. In 1992 we assisted the First Presbyterian congregation as a consulting architect on additions and modification to their historic “Pittsford Federal” Style rectory. The congregation contracted Bero Architecture in 2000 for a Conditional Report on their Steeple. This report led to Bero Architecture being contracted to lead and manage an in-depth EPF Roofing and Masonry restoration project in 2002.

In May 2004 lightning struck the church destroying the roof and majority of the interior of the sanctuary. The congregation of First Presbyterian did not give up, but instead immediately contacted us about rebuilding their magnificent church. Bero Architecture assisted the parish in its historic reconstruction through stabilization of the existing structure, schematic design (based off of research, historic photos, and measurements of existing materials), construction documents, and construction administration.  The reconstruction from the roof of Vermont Green Slate to the restoration of the stained glass windows by Pike Studios was completed at the end of 2006.